Friday, July 18, 2008

Joshua Tree National Park - Joshua Tree, CA

Joshua Tree National Park is an easy day trip from La Quinta/Palm Springs. I recommend arriving at first light to catch the sunrise over the rocks and to avoid the crowds. I entered through the West Entrance Station, just off Hwy 62. There are numerous lookouts, picnic areas, camping sites and interpretive trails along Park Boulevard. The Boulevard is a relatively easy, ride through paradise for road bikers. I don't remember seeing dedicated bike lanes, but the road is wide enough to accommodate cars and bikers. I took Park Boulevard to its terminus at Keys View which offered a grand view of the Coachella Valley, the Santa Rosa Mountains, San Jacinto and the Salton Sea. The San Andreas Fault is also visible from the lookout.


I signed up for a two day introductory rock climbing course through Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School. We focused on fundamentals on the first half of day one and started climbing immediately after lunch. On day two, we tackled more challenging rocks. I was in a group of five people which meant we had easy one-on-one access to the instructor. The pace was faster than I imagined, so I had little time to dwell on my fear of heights and trust issues. I recommend the two day course, as there was only a minimal sense of accomplishment after day one.


If sporting isn't your thing, just go for the views. Bring your camera - the rocks and cacti are photogenic. If you're not camping, try and catch the monthly star party hosted by the Andromeda Astronomical Society. I regret missing it. Ask the ranger at the entry for details.

Links:
Joshua Tree National Park
Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School

No comments: