Friday, July 18, 2008

Chicago Marathon 2007 - Chicago, IL

Scenes from the 2007 Chicago Marathon
This was brutal and surreal - runners were jumping into fountains and fainting on the asphalt. Chicagoans trucked out their stashes of bottled water and ice to share. I survived by begging for water from strangers on the street and in restaurants. Thank you Chicago! My running buddy pulled me out at mile 13. What a blessing! I would have kept on sputtering along. The ambulance sirens sounded non-stop through the night.


I was disappointed by La Salle's cowardice. A formal apology was never issued. To the end, they blamed the runners for showing up on an unusually hot race day. I was, however, completely won over by the people of Chicago. They were the perfect race crowd. They came out in droves to cheer us on. And, in the end, they nursed us through the heat, the thirst and the pain.

Grant Park
Millenium Park
The Art Institute of Chicago

No comments: